Stop Candidate Ghosting in 3 Steps
Candidate Ghosting: When someone applies for your open job, you reach out, and they never reply.
If you’re part of the 90% of employers dealing with candidate ghosting right now, this article is for you.
It’s beyond frustrating to receive an application, reach out, and never hear back. Or to schedule an interview and then find yourself waiting for a candidate that never shows up. But, it’s essential that you understand one thing:
You control whether or not a candidate ghosts you.
Why Are Candidates Ghosting You?
It’s easy to blame it on this “new generation” or the “post-COVID workforce,” but we need to consider where these candidates are coming from. After all, it’s not uncommon for employers to ghost 75% of people who apply for their job, so why shouldn’t candidates ghost you?
As employers, we’ve convinced an entire generation of employees that we don’t care about them, their personal lives, or their career aspirations. We only care about filling our open positions and improving our own bottom line.
Stop Candidates From Ghosting
With the right mindset and a few simple changes, you can stop candidates from ghosting. These include:
1. Create a connection. Give candidates a reason to want to return your call. One that’s not about the money. Stop with the generic email or text saying you got their application and asking when they can talk. Get them excited to come in for an interview.
2. Be interested in them as an individual. Longer interviews are essential. Once a candidate comes in for a screening or interview, do not power through the questions and forget to listen. If they mention an outside hobby or interest of theirs, ask questions and get to know them as an individual.
3. Value your candidates. Each and every one of your employees have families, goals, and dreams. They want something out of their life that working for you can give them. Let candidates know you value these things and want to help them achieve their goals.
Give Employees a Place They Belong
When you create a connection with candidates and show them that you value them, they will show up and choose you. Everyone wants to work where they feel they belong and are cared about. Be that place for employees and you’ll be part of the 10% of companies that can attract and retain top talent.
- Move Hiring From Your Head to Your Heart - February 17, 2024
- The Ultimate Guide to Avoid Hiring the Worst Candidates - February 16, 2024
- The Art of Being Picky: Mastering Your Hiring Strategy - February 16, 2024